Monday, October 22, 2007

The Computer is Well

After my last post, I went and started scanning the yellow pages planning on finding the nearest computer repair shop to take my laptop to on Saturday. I finally found one that was open, and they wanted a minimum of $40 and that was for one hour. Any parts, labor, and time over the hour would be extra, so they actually had no idea how much it would end up costing. My husband and I discussed it and decided to hold off on taking it to the repair shop. While we are on this "path to simplicity," one of our current goals is getting out of debt. An important part of getting out of debt is evaluating where your money is going and how necessary it is to spend it at any given time. We evaluated this particular situation. We have a new desktop computer in our downstairs playroom/school room that is for the children to use with their school work. We determined that I could use this in the meantime for my transcription work and that we didn't have to be in any rush to get it fixed. No, I wouldn't be able to sit on my comfy couch with my laptop actually sitting on my lap as usual, but I could adjust. After this decision, I started thinking that we needed to find out what the problem was so we could have an idea of what was wrong and how much it was actually going to cost. Dell has an online wizard where you can go and troubleshoot your computer through a series of questions. This is obviously a BIG need for them since their computers have so many problems. (My motherboard went out on my Dell laptop in May, but thankfully it was under warranty at that time. This will be my last Dell.) I went through the series of questions and finally ended up attaching an external monitor to my laptop and was able to get an error code on that screen. I then went to several online forums and discovered there was a possibility that my LCD screen was unplugged. After reading further, I found out how to remove the screen to check if this was the case. Not figuring we could hurt it any worse, hubby and I began dismantling the screen (along with my two-year-old who kept asking if we needed any help). Sure enough, it was unplugged!! We plugged it back in and turned on the computer before putting everything back together, and thankfully it was working fine! That was such a wonderful feeling to know that we had saved that money and had actually fixed it ourselves. A few months ago, we would have taken it in for repair without thinking about it, but I'm thankful that God is changing our attitude in this area. My husband and I both firmly agree that God has a plan for us to get out of debt, and we believe we know the reason for that - but more about that at another time. Now excuse me while I go take apart the refrigerator. The icemaker isn't working.....

2 comments:

b4Jesus2 said...

just curious what did you post on the blog under comments for cvs on crystal blog...why did she take it off

Rhonda said...

Hi! I deleted the post. I was having problems getting the CVS coupons to print, so I was asking to see if anyone else was having the same problem. As soon as I posted the message, I was able to print them! So, that's why I deleted it since it wasn't relevant anymore and probably just my crazy computer.