Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Enjoying Thanksgiving....

Have I said before how much I LOVE this time of year? I think I have, but it won't hurt to say it again. We were all outside the other day, and the girls were having a great time jumping in the leaves. It was a windy day, and the leaves were falling like rain. It just seemed so peaceful. I'm in no rush for Fall to leave. I love Winter, too, but I have a new plan in place to enjoy as much of these seasons as possible. As my blog title states, we're trying to move toward the simple in terms of our everyday life. The routine of the past has seemed to be a "hurry up and get it done" routine that carries over throughout the whole Holiday season. I'm hoping to not let that happen this year. In that regard, I'm doing something different this year. I am going to ENJOY Thanksgiving and not begin celebrating Christmas until November 23rd. In the past, I have usually had my Christmas decorations, inside and outside, ready at least one or two weeks before Thanksgiving. As I look back at the times I've hosted Thanksgiving dinner at my home, I realize how having a Christmas tree all lit up in the living room must have taken away from the whole Thanksgiving meaning. I have chosen to not let that happen this year.

We're doing our school work through today (where ordinarily we would have probably been decorating for Christmas), and then, Lord willing, I am going to enjoy baking and cooking with my family for the next couple of days. My girls love to decorate when we're having guests, so instead of thinking about Christmas decorations, we can use this time to prepare the tables and add a little Thanksgiving decor while we're at it without the interference of all the red and green.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Christmas season and fully intend to enjoy all the wonders of it and the celebration of our Saviour, but for this week, I am going to concentrate on being Thankful.

Slight change of subject
This is a bit of a change of subject, but I have to mention an example of how busy we, as a culture, have become. A lady at church Sunday morning mentioned to me that she would not be at church Sunday evening as she was going to her brother's church to hear their cantata. I said, "Oh, are they doing a Thanksgiving cantata?" She went on to tell me that it was their Christmas cantata. They were so busy, this was the only time they could fit it in! That is so sad to me. Just another example of how even churches are getting too busy. Also another reason why the family-integrated Biblical-based model sounds so wonderful to me. If you are so busy that you have to do your Christmas cantata before Thanksgiving, there is a good chance that too much is going on - and sadly, probably things that are separating the family and pulling them away from one another.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow brave statement about family integratedness!!!! You are so right though. Enough in the world to pull us away from each other...thanks for being brave. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, God is so faithful even in things we don't understand..HE never changes.Lord bless you on your family journey. tammyp

Rhonda said...

I appreciate your comment. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too! - Rhonda