Thursday, November 29, 2007

On the homeschool front

I am usually not one for change when it comes to our yearly curriculum. I don't want to be wasteful, so even if I'm not thrilled with something I've chosen, I'll try to make it work somehow. I'm really pleased with everything we're doing now with one exception. Our Professor B math is just not working for us. I've tried using it different ways but without much success. I had been looking for something that would allow them to work a little more independently, and since this program is mostly on CD, I thought that would be the case. I think this program requires more teacher help than what we were using. I think it is a great program and probably would work well if that is what you started with, but I think it was just too different from what we were using, and that must have made it a little confusing. We may go back to Rod & Staff. A friend of mine is going to let me see her SOS math, so that's a possibility also. Next year, I'm pretty sure I'll let Madison do the Teaching Textbooks program. I've heard a lot of good things about that program, and as she gets closer to high-school work, I'm sure we're both going to need all the help we can get.

I really like the Easy Grammar text that we're using. Also, they discovered Mad Libs and Wacky Tales this week. What a great way to practice grammar! I remember when I was in elementary or jr. high school, I would always buy those Mad Lib books whenever our school had those book fairs. My friends and I had such a good time filling in the blanks and then reading the crazy stories. I can't believe I hadn't thought of them sooner for my girls.

Reading is still a bit of a drudgery around here. Yes, as a homeschool mom, I don't like having to admit that. They just don't enjoy reading. They like to be read to but don't necessarily enjoy just sitting down with a book by themselves. I was reading in The Old Schoolhouse magazine some suggestions for getting your kids to read, and The Boxcar Children series of books was suggested. I got these at the library, and my children are actually reading them! I think I read there were 72 books in this series, so I hope they'll continue to enjoy them.

This month we're going to try to add in some Christmas crafts. We started on some cross-stitch projects earlier this week. Maybe they'll have them finished by next Christmas! We'll make our annual gingerbread house hopefully next week. It's always a lot of fun, and I'm sure even Amelia will enjoy building this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing we as homeschoolers have such freedom!!! Choosing which material and method works for our own children!!! We have been at this for 13 years now with lots of bathwater thrown out while able to keep *the baby*. It is a bummer when something just doesn't work for the children,but it's ok,and we just move on and explore other stuff. Know you are not alone on this journey of trying to raise our children for the Glory of God. He is faithful and with us!!! A lovely thing to trust!!! Enjoy your children and your christmas crafts together-time is such a precious gift we as homeschoolers can give our families. Lord bless you-tammyp