Once again, I found myself in a discussion this week on household cleaning products. As I sit here typing, my head is in a bit of a cloud after using some Lysol bathroom cleaner last evening.
God has blessed me with a wonderful family, and I want to do the best job I can to take care of them. In that regard, I'm careful about what we eat (I'll be blogging about that soon), and I also try to be careful regarding the chemicals that come into our home. I began using Basic H (a Shaklee product) earlier this year. I use it for lots of light-duty jobs around the house, including dusting, easy kitchen and bathroom jobs, windows and mirrors, and mopping the floors. I wasn't sure if this was antibacterial, so without investigating further, I once again began purchasing the Lysol bathroom cleaner and other toxic cleaners I found on sale. I just wanted to make sure those toilets were really clean, and if I spilled "chicken juice" on the countertops while cooking, I wanted to make sure that nothing dangerous was left behind. I don't think this was a very wise decision.
Every time I clean with those products, my body feels the effects of it - headaches, change in breathing (I wouldn't call it difficulty breathing, but it does feel different), runny nose, cough, etc. If you read my post below about our busy weekend, you will understand that we used lots of that bathroom cleaner in a short period of time to tidy up, spot clean, and of course, make sure the bathrooms were ready for guests. Yesterday, my family nearly went through a whole box of Kleenex because of runny noses. Do I think there is any connection here to the toxic products? I most certainly do.
During my morning chores today, those toxic products are (for the second time) going in the trash can. I'll be sticking to my Basic H. I have some "recipes" for household cleaners that include using vinegar, which someone told me is antibacterial, so I'll be mixing up some of that. I also saw some cleaning cloths called Norwex. Anyone familiar with those? I would love to hear about it if you are. They are antibacterial cloths that you clean with, either dry or wet. You simply wash them in the washing machine as needed, and they appear to last a while. They look a little expensive, but Marilyn Moll has a deal going on through November 30th. I may have to try these. http://www.urbanhomemaker.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=2059
If anyone has any other ideas about safe, non-toxic cleaning, I would love to hear about them!