Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Simple Recipe

While I was putting together our soup for supper tonight, I was thinking I should share this recipe that someone shared with me a few years ago. It is very simple and a great meal for when you're short on time - or not. Even my picky eater enjoys this, and it is wonderful in the crockpot.

Salsa Chicken Soup
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 can chicken broth
1 16 oz. jar salsa
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, corns chips or tortilla chips

Layer ingredients in crockpot in order. (Chicken can even be placed in crockpot frozen.) Cook on low for 5 to 7 hours. (I actually cooked it today on "high" for 4-5 hours.) Before serving, remove chicken and chop into bite-sized pieces. Stir chicken back into soup. Top with cheese, and serve with chips.

No comments: