Friday, December 21, 2007

Let the Festivities Begin!

The gifts are all purchased and wrapped! The house is clean, and my checklists for this week are almost complete. It's time to relax and enjoy. I'm so looking forward to the next several days. We have our party at Terri's tonight, and we'll be on our way to the airport in the morning to pick up my mother-in-law. My father-in-law couldn't get off work, so he was unable to come with her this time. The only things I have to do today are create a short menu for next week (we'll be eating with my sister on Monday and my mom and dad on Tuesday), and then get my grocery list and coupons together so I can shop early in the morning. I also have to take rolls and dessert to the party tonight, so I'll be working on that today as well. Here's the dessert I'm taking tonight. It's a new recipe, but I think it sounds safe enough to take without making a sample first. It's called Mile High Turtle Ice Cream Pie. I think it's from a Southern Living book.

First of all, you make the homemade caramel sauce (I made this last night, and it was yummy!):

1-1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine sugar and water in a large heavy saucepan; cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high, and boil gently, without stirring, until syrup turns a deep amber color, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush and swirling pan (about 8 minutes). Swirling the pan instead of stirring promotes more even cooking. Gradually add cream (sauce will bubble vigorously). Add butter; stir gently until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Yield: 1-3/4 cups.

MILE-HIGH TURTLE ICE CREAM PIE

2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs (about 40 cookies)
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 pints dulce de leche ice cream, softened and divided (they tested with Haagan-Dazs - I'm using store brand)
1 cup Homemade Caramel Sauce
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted and divided
1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened
1 (7 oz.) can sweetened whipped cream (Redi Whip)
3/4 cup Homemade Caramel Sauce

Combine crumbs and melted butter in a small mixing bowl; stir well. Press crumbs in bottom of a 9 x 3 spring-form pan. Bake at 325 for 10 minutes. Cool completely.

Spoon 1 pint dulce de leche ice cream into cololed crust, and spread evenly; drizzle 1/3 cup Homemade Caramel Sauce over ice cream, and sprinkle with 3/4 cup chopped pecans. Freeze 15 minutes or until ice cream is almost firm. Repeat procedure with chocolate ice cream, caramel sauce, and remaining pecans. Freeze until almost firm. Top with remaining dulce de leche ice cream and 1/3 cup caramel sauce. Cover and freeze 6 hours or up to 2 weeks in advance.


I just hope it doesn't melt before I get to her house. It's only 10 minutes away, so it should be okay.

I absolutely love this time of year. As a child, I used to want Christmas day to hurry up and get here. Now I want it to take its time. I want to enjoy and take in every moment!

There's only one drawback to this wonderful week - the picture taking! Why? Because I have a black eye!! I'll have to be sideways in all the pictures this year. In case you're wondering how this happened, here's the story. Tuesday night we were watching the finale of The Biggest Loser. Cari had put a sleeping bag and pillows in the floor, so as I was quite sleepy anyway, I laid down on the floor and was soon asleep. I was abruptly awakened sometime later when evidently Amelia chose to lay down in a very quick and hard fashion. The hardest part of the back of her head wacked me on the top of my cheek bone. Yes, I cried. It hurt that bad. It's kind of funny now, except for the strange looks I'm getting when I'm out in public. No amount of makeup seems to be able to cover this up!

I always know things could be worse. Much worse. And on that note, once again, I am requesting that you pray for Noah and his family as he is back in the hospital, and most of the rest of the family is suffering from a stomach virus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhonda,
I hope ya'll have a great christmas!!! And i hope your shiner gets better soon : ) !!!tammyp

Rhonda said...

Thanks! Merry Christmas to you, too!