Thursday, December 6, 2007

Making Your Home a Haven Challenge: Day 4

Results from Day 3 Challenge: I did get a good bit of laundry washed and folded, but right now it's sitting in stacks on top of the dryer. We'll get to that later today. I probably still have a couple of more loads to do. Yesterday afternoon, I ended up with a headache. Someone had given us a huge box of Surf Detergent, so that's what I've been using for washing clothes. It has a very strong smell, and I think that's probably what gave me the headache. My husband happened to be home yesterday, so I took some medicine and went to sleep. I woke up 45 mins. before time to leave for church, so unfortunately, we had Taco Bell for supper!

Day 4 Challenge:

1. Refresh Your Spirit - Check.

Verse to keep in mind today: Ecclesiastes 7:9 - Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools. And there is a reason for this. We are trying to housebreak a Bichon Frise puppy, and I got so angry with him yesterday. How long does this take??!! I would have given him away yesterday if someone had been standing there wanting him. Thankfully, we have a basement where he stays most of the time. If this were happening upstairs, he would have been gone weeks ago. He does well sometimes, and then other times just doesn't seem to be getting it. (If anyone has any help or encouragement in this area, I would certainly appreciate it!) Anyway, I know I shouldn't have gotten so angry. I could blame it on the beginnings of the headache, but I know it's not wise to play the blame game. It all boils down to the fact that it just wasn't a good example. Therefore, I need to remember this verse today - and the next, and the next..... I don't want to be a fool!

2. Take Time to Plan - This morning I need to:

  • Finish laundry and put away
  • Straighten living room, kitchen, bed room, and our bathroom
  • Clean the girls' bathroom
  • Inspect the girls' rooms
  • Complete schoolwork

I also have to have dinner ready early today. I'm making creamy potato cheese soup and cornbread so it will be easy for my husband to fix/warm up when he gets home. The girls and I are going to see a Christmas performance by a show choir in Wadley, Alabama. Brad won't be home in time to go. UPS is crazy this time of year! It will be quite a drive for us, but we're going with people from our church (about 40 of us), and we will meet there and ride with someone. They say the show is fantastic, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

3. Do something! - As you can read above, I do plan to do something. The challenge for today is to clean the bathroom, and that was already on my list. (I do an Emilie Barnes routine around here. I'll have to post my schedule sometime.) I'll try to post pictures and maybe will get to that after shot of my laundry room at some point today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be upset at the puppy, please! It doesn't understand. When housebreaking a puppy, you must anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. If it makes a mistake by going inside, you must tell yourself that YOU did not get the timing right. You are the one who must anticipate the next time the puppy needs to go, and take it in time. YOu are the one who must watch for signs (sometimes very small) that it needs to go.

It WILL work out, we have two beautiful dogs who have lovely house manners, and bring us such pleasure. But, if you are not a dog person, you will both be miserable, (your saying the dog was in your basement most of the time, gives me pause). Some people keep the dog on leash at their sides when housebraking just so they can watch for signs, and so the puppy can learn. It can be hard, and if you are a neat nick, dogs will always add to the mess and dirt levels.
On the other hand, though, they are sweet companions, and they quickly become a part of the family.

Rhonda said...

He does stay in our basement most of the time, but we're down there a lot also. Half of the basement is finished, and that's where the play room/school room is. We keep his kennel down there, and he is kennel trained. When we can't watch him or after he has just eaten, that is where he stays.

I admit that we probably would not have an inside dog were it not for our children really wanting one, and they've already fallen in love with this one. It's a huge adjustment for me as I've always had outside dogs, but I'm trying......

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, just when you think the puppy won't learn, he'll be all trained. Hang in there!