Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Our 2007 Gingerbread House......


Yes, this may be the saddest looking gingerbread house you've ever seen, but we did have fun building it. I do have to admit that lots of hot glue was involved in this project! I would have done well to follow the instructions and cut out a paper template before cutting out my dough. Oh well...
Here's the recipe we use if anyone is interested:
Mini Gingerbread House
For the gingerbread:
1 cup light corn syrup (I didn't have this, so I used molasses instead, and that worked fine.)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (I guess the spices aren't really necessary if you're not going to eat it, which we usually don't - especially with hot glue involved!)
Here are the dimensions you need to cut out:
For the roof: 4-1/4" (length) x 6-7/16" (width) - two of these
For the front and back: 5-13/16" (length) x 5" (width) - two of these with a door cut out of the front. Also, you need to cut an identical triangular roof line on both pieces.
For the sides: 3-1/4" (length) x 4-1/4" (width) - two of these
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
Making the House
For icing glue, use:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 egg white
1/3 cup boiling water
Combine sugar, cream of tartar, and egg white; add boiling water. Beat until icing holds stiff peaks.
(I actually just used white icing from the grocery store. I may have saved some hot glue had I used the above recipe.)
Working with the front and sides of house first, generously apply the icing glue along adjoining sides. (It's best to apply icing with a pastry bag fitted with a medium tip, but you can also use a spatula.) Hold the walls upright while the icing hardens. Repeat with remaining sides.
Once sides are firmly together, liberally apply icing glue to bottom edges. Attach house framework to your base (I used a cookie sheet covered in tin foil). Let icing harden.
Next, apply roof. For best results, apply the icing glue to top edges of side, front, and back walls. Apply icing glue along peak of roof. Gently press roof pieces in place. Allow icing to harden well before decorating.
For decorating, I just usually look through the cabinets and use what is available. Some suggestions they gave are frosted wheat cereal, chocolate candies, pretzels, and ice cream cones. I used marshmallows and peppermint candy. The ideas are endless on this one.
I'd love to see your house if you've made one. I promise to try to make a prettier house next year!

1 comment:

Angela McRae said...

I don't think the Gingerbread House is bad at all, and my co-workers agreed with me that the girls all look ADORABLE!!!