Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Finished the book.....

Finally finished the Family Driven Faith book, and I can strongly recommend it if you're interested in learning more about family worship and discipleship within the home and family integration within the church. I found it to be very encouraging. This is one of those books that makes such wonderful sense that it makes me wonder why I didn't realize this sooner!? I'm thankful for men like Mr. Baucham who are preaching this message across the nation. It is truly a reformation/revival, and I'm excited to be a part of it!

Before I move on, I wanted to share some of my favorite paragraphs from the book - or maybe I should say the paragraphs that "made me think":

"Why is it that Christian families think nothing of a lifestyle that demands hours per week traipsing across town, blood, sweat, and tears from our children, and thousands of dollars each year from our bank accounts, but the idea of a twenty-minute daily commitment to family worship immediately strikes them as too much to ask? I fear that we have lost our way. Christianity has become so marginal in our culture that even those who claim allegiance to Christ have very little to show for it in terms of time and commitment."

"I believe one of the greatest crutches in the church is the nursery. Parents who have neglected to train their children have very little encouragement to do so when there is a place to hide them. The father who should be up in arms by the time he gets home from church because of the embarrassment to which his child subjected him ends up going home with a clear conscience while the nursery worker takes a handful of aspirin."

"Consequently, many Christians believe the best thing they can do for their family is provide them with more stuff. So we continue to accumulate as though accumulation is the answer. All the while our children are screaming at us from beneath the piles of untouched toys and unworn clothes begging for a few minutes of our time. Time we simply don't have because we are too busy trying to find that one thing we can add to the pile that will make the screaming stop."

And the last paragraph of the book states...

"I have simply tried to remind God's people of what He has said on the subject of multigenerational faithfulness. The exciting thing is that God's people appear to be in the perfect position to hear His truth and act on it. The evidence is sobering. The answer is simple. The time is now. We will either win the culture one family at a time or will continue to lose the culture one family at a time. Either way, the family is the key."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhonda,
I want to be on the winning side!!!! I want to start with my children, my family. This is such a battle in that so very many Christians (i am sure i am guilty too) are just tryin to keep thier head above water. Thinking and hard thinking is required. And nothing can be done without Jesus being at the center of everything. And the desire to please HIM with everything we are and do--not man pleasing or just goin with what everyone else is doin. Thanks for good thought provoking post.tammyp

Rhonda said...

Thank you, ladies, for your comments. Very encouraging!!

Rhonda said...

Vickie,

I approved your post, but it's not showing up for some reason? Maybe it will appear later. Strange.

I visited your blog and enjoyed reading it. Sounds like we are on the same path by the names of our blogs! :>)

Take care,
Rhonda