Thursday, January 10, 2008

Quick update -

We went to the orthopedic doctor yesterday, and that was the happiest group of doctors and nurses I've ever been around. Amazingly, we were in and out very quickly. They put a hard, fiberglass cast on her, and that was so interesting to see. I had no idea that was how they did it. If you've never seen it, first they put a sock-type thing on your arm, then they wrap it with softer, cloth-like stuff (sorry I don't know all the technical terms!), and then they gave her a choice of colors for the final wrap. She chose blue, and the nurse wrapped it up, got it wet, the cast got very warm, and then all of the sudden it was hard as a rock!

She'll probably have to wear it for two weeks. That was very good news as the doctor on Tuesday had said probably four to six weeks. Evidently it's not that bad of a fracture. There's a minute possibility that she could finish out the basketball season, but we're planning as though she won't in order to not cause any more disappointment. She's doing much better now, and I'm very proud of her. She's not one to mope around and pout about her circumstance. She's her usual jolly self, and I think that's wonderful. I'm also very proud of her little sister. I've been amazed at how Cari is taking care of her big sister and helping out with Madison's chores without even being asked. She made her a card the other night and put a $1 in it, and I thought that was very nice, too. Thankfully, most of us don't have to see very often how our children are going to respond in adversity. Even though this would probably be considered a small one (adversity), I've been happy with the response around here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rhonda,
Such a blessing to see sweet character coming out during a time when someone close is in need. Precious!!! I am glad things went well for ya'll at the doc..tammyp