Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Using Substitutions to Save Money

I wanted to make pancakes for breakfast this morning, but I realized I was out of baking powder. I contemplated running to Wal-Mart but knew that would be a waste of time. I tried to make them without it, and I ended up with a couple of frisbies. I then remembered seeing in a cookbook a table of substitutions. I found it, and thankfully baking powder was on there.

For 1 tsp. of baking powder, you can substitute 1/4 tsp. baking soda plus 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar. I had these on hand, so we were able to have some fluffy pancakes afterall!

Here are some other substitutions that may come in handy sometime:

BREAD CRUMBS
1 cup bread crumbs = 3/4 cup cracker crumbs

CHOCOLATE
1 square (1 oz.) unsweetened chocolate = 3 Tablespoons cocoa plus 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine

CORNSTARCH
1 Tablespoon cornstarch = 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

CORN SYRUP
1 cup corn syrup = 3/4 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup water

CREAM
1 cup light cream = 7/8 cup milk plus 3 Tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream = 3/4 cup milk plus 1/3 cup butter

GARLIC
1 clove fresh garlic = 1 tsp. garlic salt or 1/8 tsp. garlic powder

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy that chocolate one comes in handy, alife saver!!!!!tammyp