Thursday, February 28, 2008

Books!

Yesterday we had someone scheduled to come look at our house, so the girls and I left and went to the library to hang out for a while. (I figure people can look around better when the owners are not around.) Usually when we visit the library, we're in and out pretty quickly and already have in mind what we're looking for before we get there. I enjoyed browsing yesterday and came away with some pretty good finds.

I found a beautiful book from Southern Lady called Gracious Tables.




Have you ever been to one of those ladies luncheons/dinners where everyone decorates their own table - complete with dishes, centerpiece, tablecloth, etc.? We had one at our church a few years ago, and everything was just beautiful. If you enjoy that type of thing, you'll LOVE this book. It has page after page of table decorations and also has what looks like some tasty recipes to go along. I keep our dining room table decorated since we don't use it very much, and I enjoyed getting some new ideas.

A few months ago, my sister interviewed Jan Karon, and I had been thinking I would like to read one of her books. I usually don't read fiction, as I always feel like I need further instruction in my role as mother, wife, Christian, etc., and that I need to read things that are going to teach me something. It's been quite a while since I've done any "entertainment-type" reading. I was first reminded about Jan Karon when I was looking through the children's books and found a book that she had written that my younger two daughters would probably enjoy. I hadn't thought about looking at the library for her novels, but when I did a search on the computer, there they were! They did have the first book in the series, so of course that's the one I chose.



Lastly, I wanted to mention a book I had been waiting for at the library through inter-library loan, Nourishing Traditions. I've been wanting to read this book for a while, and I love to read anything about healthy living/cooking. So far, this book goes along with all the other books I've enjoyed reading along this topic. I've learned some new things also and have once again been inspired to make further changes. I'll have to do a separate post sometime about this book as there's just too much to say and not enough time right now.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because I have a Google alert system for Jan Karon, I was notified of your mention of her and your decision to read her first book. I do read fiction, though I want positive and uplifting stories, not the dark and offensive type. My comment to you is that I have learned much from Father Tim and others in Jan Karon's fiction and I believe you will find the Mitford series very worth your while! "Mema Jane" (as I sign my Mitford BB name)

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the comment. I look forward to reading it!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhonda,
I wanted to let you know I have read the Jan Karon books, I absolutely love them!!!! She is a brilliant writer. Thoughtful, witty, and knows how to invite you in and make you feel welcome to the story. Her characters are so down to earth, in a wonderfully individual kind of way. I hope you will enjoy them as much as i have. It is some of the best fiction of our time--if not the best. Take care, tammyp