Monday, February 25, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

Why do I like to participate in "Menu Plan Monday?" First of all, my daughter told me I needed to post our menu for this week. She likes to look on here and see what we're having for supper. That works for me, too, because she loves to cook, and if she sees something on here she can take care of, she usually does! Even my eight-year-old daughter loves to cook. My dad's birthday was last Friday, and we made his German chocolate birthday cake for him. She did most of the work as I offered instruction. It's never too early to get your kids in the kitchen with you! - even my 2-year-old enjoys adding the ingredients to the bowl after I have put them in the measuring cups for her.

I also like to post my menu as it holds me accountable to do whatever I need to accomplish to have supper ready on time. I hope this also encourages other moms to cook more at home and save money and health by avoiding a fast food run. The key to all this is planning ahead of time what you're going to cook for the week and being sure you have all of your ingredients on hand. Right now, I'm using my menu plan page in my Yearbook for the Homekeeper 2008, but in times past I have posted the menu on the refrigerator, and this works great to help me remember what I'm cooking and if I need to do any prep work ahead of time.

I generally create my menu for the week on Friday evenings while I am going through the coupons and circulars and making my grocery list for Saturday morning. I try to cook based on what is on sale and what coupons I have. This week worked out rather well, and most of my recipes required a lot of the same ingredients. This was a money saver that I had not really anticipated when I was creating my menu. I've been wanting things a little spicy here lately, and not that I really did it on purpose, but I ended up with mostly spicy meals this week. Also, since basketball is officially over, we have more time in the evenings for meals that take a little longer to prepare.

So, here's my supper menu for this week:

Saturday - Grilled hamburgers and hotdogs (all-natural, all-beef, and organic of course) on whole wheat buns, pasta salad, and a wonderful salad that my friend, Heather, brought to the meal

Sunday - out to eat at a Mexican restaurant

Monday - White chicken chili (from The Fix It and Forget It Cookbook p. 47)

Tuesday - Fish, baked red potatoes and onions, whole wheat pasta, hushpuppies

Wednesday - Cowboy chicken casserole My mouth is watering thinking about this one! I generally half the recipe for our family of five, and that is plenty, but I guess I could make the whole recipe sometime and freeze a casserole for another day.

Thursday - Super Nachos!

Friday - ?

For more menu plan ideas, visit The Organizing Junkie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhonda,
Where do you get your hotdogs?? We have ordered some from our co-op , but i would like to find a source close by and for a good deal. Thanks--tammyp

Rhonda said...

Hi, Tammy! I get our hotdogs at Ingles. They used to carry two different brands of organic hotdogs, but my favorite was the Coleman. Evidently, others felt the same, as I think that's the only brand they have now. They are really good and actually taste like a hotdog should. I think they're around $4.88 for a pack of eight. (I went to the Coleman web site once, and they sent me some coupons for $1 off.)

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.