Friday, April 25, 2008

Our 2008-2009 Homeschool Year

I know, I haven't even finished the 2007-2008 school year, and here I am talking about the next year already! I'm a little excited because I've never been this decisive in knowing what I wanted to use. Next year will be our eighth year, and I think each year has been completely different than the others. Maybe the first two years we used the same curriculum, but every year since, we have made big changes. There is just way too much to choose from! I'd love to hit on something and stick with it - maybe that will happen with Amelia!

I've been very pleased with our curriculums this year, although we did struggle with the math choices at times, but that's taken care of now. I needed to find something different for history, science, and Bible, since we'll be completing what we did this year. Last year at the curriculum fair, I looked at My Father's World and was really impressed. After reading reviews and doing other research, I think this is the way we're going to go. One of the wonderful aspects of this curriculum is that it has the daily lesson plans written out for every subject! I don't think I've ever had that done for me, so I'm really excited about that. It also appears to have some very good literature worked in, which is an area I really want to improve next year.

Here's a breakdown of what I've chosen. Yes, it is subject to change as it hasn't been ordered yet, but I'm trying to just not look at anything else!

For Madison: (7th Grade)
History, Science and Bible --- My Father's World - Exploring Countries and Cultures
(using the additions for upper grades, including Advanced Missionary Biographies, Country Reports, and Apologia Science Exploring Creation w/General Science)
Math - Teaching Textbooks
Writing - Writing Strands Level 3
Grammar - All-in-One English Series
Literature - Progeny Press

For Cari: (4th Grade)
History, Science, and Bible --- My Father's World - Exploring Countries and Cultures
Math - Rod & Staff
Grammar - Easy Grammar and Daily Grams
Writing - Writing Strands Level 3
Literature - Progeny Press

We also plan to order the Dave Ramsey homeschool curriculum - Financial Peace for the Next Generation.

I predict we're going to be finished with this school year somewhere around the first of June. I'd like to take five to six weeks off and then start back sometime in July, hopefully getting a lot accomplished before the new addition arrives.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Looks like a great list! We are doing Georgia Virtual Academy (K12) next year so I get a reprieve from the curriculum choosing/buying this spring, but I may have to look into the Dave Ramsey materials. I also am looking at the Memoria Press Bible curriculum for grammar grades for the littles next year -- Emory will keep working in the Sonlight 5 he started this year.

Good luck and have a great time shopping!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhonda,
We just got back from a great family vacation and are gearing up for the GHEA confrence. Are you going? There I hope to put my hands on MFW. I have looked at it online and liked what i have seen. Also thanks for the info about the Dave Ramsey next generation stuff. I had no idea he had something like that. His book has been a huge blessing in my life! Take care-tammyp

Rhonda said...

Tammy, I don't think we're going to make it to the conference this year, but it looks like they have some great speakers lined up.

We really enjoy what we're learning from Dave Ramsey, too. I've almost finished reading The Total Money Makeover - wish it had been around years ago!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rhonda,
I know i wish in my early years someone would have shown us a way to stay financially free. We truely bought what the world was dishin out concerning credit cards. As a young couple it made life and paycheck stretching hard. And growing older we have come to understand it takes great self control to overcome old habits. I have been SO thankful for 1st Larry Burkett then more recently Dave Ramsey!!!! What a blessing to be hit upside my knucklehead with precious truth. Truths i hope to lead my children in to make a better way for future generations. In our family its time to break this vicious cycle!!!! To God be the Glory!!!! tammyp