Friday, April 11, 2008

Spring!!

Fall is my favorite season, but spring is definitely a close second! The thermometer was showing 80 degrees a while ago, and it feels wonderful. It's warm, but there's a very nice breeze blowing. We're anticipating some strong storms this evening, but I welcome them if they will wash some of the pollen away. Praise the Lord, I haven't had any problems with allergies as of yet. I've just had to add a new daily chore to my list of sweeping off the porch and deck, but I'm thankful I have a porch and deck to sweep!

I've been working in the yards this week pulling weeds and admiring the greenery and flowers that are making their appearances. Some of them have been a surprise as I didn't remember everything that I had planted last year. In the past couple of years, I've purchased very few annuals. I did plant some pansies several weeks ago just to add some color until the others begin blooming, but that's it. What I do to add to my flower garden is scope out the garden section of Wal-Mart when I'm doing my weekly shopping. I look through the clearance section for perennials. Of course they're barely surviving and may not be the prettiest in the garden center, but apparently they still do have some life left. I purchase them and provide them a new home in my garden where, more often than not, they flourish wonderfully. Sometimes it is not until the following year that I see their true potential, but it's worth the wait and the money savings.

My claim to fame in the area of flowers is my hosta plants. My husband's aunt gave me an ample supply of these when hers needed some thinning out. After planting them a few years ago, I diligently put Miracle Grow on them on a weekly basis. Now they are huge and actually look like bushes when they're fully grown. I'll take some pictures and post them in a few weeks as they still have some more growing to do.

I have many things planted around my yard that loved ones and friends have shared with me. Every year when they begin to peak through the ground, I'm always reminded of those people. A few weeks ago, I planted some blueberry bush cuttings from a friend who has monstrous blueberry bushes that produce tons of blueberries. They seem to be doing well, and there are a few blooms, but I'm assuming it will be another year or so before I see them produce.

When our home sells, since I can't dig up the whole yard and take it with me, I think these gifts are what I'll miss most.

As long as we're here, we're going to go ahead and plant a small garden. I know I want to plant tomatoes and peppers, and my husband wants cantaloupes (Speaking of my husband - today's our anniversary! - 16 years.) I want a herb garden this year also. Haven't decided for sure what else I'll plant. We're thinking about joining a local farmers co-op that delivers weekly organic vegetables, so we may not have to plant too much. I definitely want to do the tomatoes as we eat lots of tomatoes and tomato sauce throughout the year, so it would be great to have enough to do some canning. I also love to make homemade salsa with fresh tomatoes.

If you're not in the spring mood yet, may I suggest that you read this article by Lanier Ivester. I was fortunate to hear her speak at a homeschool mom's meeting several years ago. She is a beautiful young lady that I would describe as "humbly elegant" if that makes sense. I remember how quiet everyone was as they listened to her as she recalled her own experiences of being homeschooled. She was speaking at the home of her in-law's, which was a beautiful, older Southern home, and I have to say I enjoyed that particular mom's meeting probably as much as any other I had experienced.

Fast forward a few years.... I was reading something over at Biblical Womanhood the other day and there was a link to an article by Lanier Ivester. I thought the name sounded familiar, and after a while I remembered why. She writes beautifully, and you can't help but smile as you're reading.

4 comments:

Angela McRae said...

Wow! I can't believe it's been 16 years! Happy Anniversary to you and Brad!

Rhonda said...

Thanks! It is unbelievable. I don't feel like I should be old enough to have been married for 16 years!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Anniversary!!! I to like to play in the garden and am soooooooo thankful spring has come. Although today (monday) it is COLD here!!!! Look forward to reading the article you posted about. Thanks--tammy

Rhonda said...

Thanks, Tammy! I can't believe how cold it is today - my poor flowers :>( I guess I need to try and cover up some of them this evening - at least the ones with blooms.....