Monday, June 16, 2008

The Biblical Diet Pyramid & Menu Plan Monday


I was needing a little motivation this past week in the area of healthy eating, so I reached for my favorite book on the subject, "The Word on Health" by Dr. Michael Jacobson. While I've been under the cloud of nausea for the past few months, I've been resorting to eating what sounds good at the moment - sometimes it's been healthy and a lot of the time it hasn't! So, now that I'm feeling better, I needed a little push to get back on track.

As I was skimming the pages, I came across the Biblical Diet Pyramid. From the bottom up, here is what it suggests: DAILY - 6 to 10 glasses of pure water, 6+ whole grains (bread, cereals, pasta, rice), 4-6 vegetables (at least half raw), 3 fruits (fresh, raw), legumes (1), nuts, yogurt & cheese, and olive oil and butter for cooking, baking, dips, and dressings. A FEW TIMES A WEEK - poultry, fish (1-2), eggs (~4), tiny amount of sweets (I'm surprised that one is on there - I guess they realized we'd do it anyway so might as well give permission for a few?). ONCE A WEEK OR LESS - red meat.

With that in mind, I tried to follow some of these suggestions while making out my menu for the week. Here's what I came up with:

BREAKFASTS:
Saturday, Sunday and Monday are usually busy, so I opted for oatmeal, cereal, or bagels on those days.
Tuesday - Whole wheat pancakes with maple syrup, kiwi
Wednesday - Fresh baked whole wheat banana bread, strawberries
Thursday - Scrambled eggs with jelly toast (We like Polaner All Fruit grape jelly as it is sweetened only with fruit and fruit juice.)
Friday - Whole wheat cinnamon biscuits, fruit (whatever is left)

LUNCHES:
Saturday - softball game, had to eat out
Sunday - Delicious Father's Day meal at my sister's house
Monday - Fish sticks, organic macaroni & cheese, watermelon
Tuesday - Brown rice with organic gravy, organic baked beans, fresh peaches (I found this organic gravy pack at Ingles. All you have to do is add water and let it cook. I'm very interested in seeing how it's going to taste.)
W
ednesday - Whole wheat pasta salad, grilled cheese sandwich on whole wheat, apples
Thursday - Turkey sandwiches on whole wheat, carrots w/dip, fruit (whatever is left)
Friday - out to eat (the girls & I generally eat out on Friday afternoons. We use coupons or eat off the dollar menus.)

SUPPERS:
Saturday - still playing softball (all day tournament), so had to eat out again!
Sunday - Whole wheat grilled chicken wraps, watermelon
Monday - Salsa chicken soup w/tortilla chips
Tuesday - Baked potatoes with organic chili, sour cream, butter, and cheese, and a salad (using regular lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, onions, olives, cheese, bell pepper, celery, and boiled eggs)
Wednesday - Baked Talapia, brown rice, steamed broccoli w/cheese, whole wheat rolls
Thursday - Lasagna (using normal recipe but using ground turkey in place of ground beef and adding spinach and zucchini to the layers), whole wheat rolls
Friday - Leftovers or Brad and I order out or go out to eat (the girls have a standing date with my parents on Friday evenings)

So that's our menu for the week. It's hard to get in those 6+ whole grains, 4-6 vegetables, and 3 fruits a day, but I guess you have to start somewhere and then sneak them in where you can!

If you'd like to see more menu ideas, CLICK HERE!

4 comments:

Lorie said...

A lot of us are trying to eat healthier for different reasons. I host a meme on Wednesday, it's the first one this Wednesday, called Watchin' What We Eat Wednesday. We will share healthy recipes. Would love for you to join. Read more about it at my blog.
http://whoareyoudiet.blogspot.com/
Hope you can join us.

Clara said...

Looks very healthy and very tasty. I can't find a whole wheat pasta I like. OK, I did find one, but as soon as I tried it, they stopped carrying it. I'm trying to move in the healthy direction so we're making more whole grain choices, too.

Kelly said...

Looks like a very tasty week - I love chili over baked potatoes. it's also good over brown rice. Yum!

Rhonda said...

Lorie, thanks for the invite. I'll be sure to check that out.

Clara, it can take some time to get used to the whole wheat pasta. In spaghetti or lasagna, I can't tell much of a difference. In all other pastas, especially the smaller ones, I can. But we're adjusting!

Kelly, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try the chili over brown rice sometime.

Rhonda