Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cheap Entertainment

My mother-in-law, who lives in Texas (with my father-in-law who couldn't get off work), is visiting with us this week, and my husband is on vacation from work, so we're taking a break from school this week. Since we're not traveling anywhere, we've been trying to think of some fun things to do around home. Yesterday, we went bowling, and unless it's free, it's pretty hard to find cheaper entertainment than bowling.

I didn't actually bowl since it is sort of easy for me to get off balance right now. I remember bowling when I was about seven or eight months' pregnant with my second daughter. I stepped over the line and immediately started sliding down the alley with my bowling ball. I don't remember how I landed, but nonetheless, I did land. It wasn't pretty. We were with a church group, and yes, it was rather embarrassing. Madison was 3 years old at the time, and I remember she started to cry quite loudly as I guess she wasn't sure what had just happened. There were no physical injuries, but after that episode, I've made it a personal rule to not bowl when I'm that far along. So, I was just a spectator yesterday.

The cost per game per person was $2, so with four people bowling two games, including the lovely shoes, it was $20. Now that's hard to beat. Everyone had a great time, and even Amelia was given several chances to try to knock down some pins. We were also practically the only ones there except for a couple of guys next to us and a group of older people way down at the other end. The guys next to us included a mentally disabled man and his friend who was obviously there to help him. It was a blessing to see him having such a good time, and I think it was a good lesson for the girls to see.

No comments: