Friday, August 15, 2008

Pizza!

My family and I love pizza, and I guess our favorite carry-out would be Papa John's. But in recent weeks, we have begun making our own pizza at home. We are really enjoying it - it's much cheaper and tastes great! I've been adding homemade pizza to the weekly supper menu once every couple of weeks.

How do we bake our pizza around here, you may ask? First of all, I start with my favorite pizza crust recipe:

I add the following ingredients in order in the bread machine -

1 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour
2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

When the dough cycle is complete, I take the dough out of the machine and divide it in half - this makes two thin crusts. Using two pans, I spray each pan with cooking spray and then sprinkle with corn meal. Then I roll out each half within a 1/2 inch of the edge of each pan. Now for the toppings.

Typically, I purchase organic canned tomato sauce and add Italian seasoning to taste. This is then spread onto the top of each crust. I always make one cheese pizza, so I simply sprinkle freshly grated mozzarella over the top of the tomato sauce. For the other pizza, I use whatever I can find in the 'fridge. This usually includes ground beef seasoned with Italian seasoning, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, few jalapenos, and, of course, lots of cheese.

The pizzas are then placed in a preheated 400 degree oven for around 15 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown on top.

Most of my family likes Papa John's Spinach Alfredo Pizza, so we decided to try making our own last night, and it was great. This is the recipe we used. We did add a couple of extras - sauteed onions in butter and grilled chicken. Yummy!

No comments: