Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Ideas for the New Year - #2

Another area that I would like to work on this year is being more sensitive to the needs of others. As I've asked the Lord to show me over the past few weeks some of the areas that need to be worked on, this is one of those things that has been shown - serving others. I don't know if it's because I was the "baby" in the family (I have to find something to blame it on!), but being the youngest in the household while growing up, I guess I was always the one having my needs met and never really had to think much about the needs of others. Although I don't like to to admit it, I would have to say that "selfish" has probably been a word to describe me at times. I heard someone say the other day that they sometimes had to be "hit over the head" in order to notice the needs of others. I know how they feel. Here's an example -

About three Christmases ago, I was shopping in a local store. I ran into some friends that were purchasing coats for some needy children. For one child, they were trying to choose between two coats - the one they had the money for or the one the child really wanted but they didn't quite have enough money on hand to purchase just yet. I'm not sure what they decided to do, but it occurred to me a couple of weeks later - yes, a couple of weeks later - that I could have easily given them the amount they needed to purchase the more-wanted coat.

I realize that some people would have recognized the opportunity immediately, but my brain - or maybe my heart - hasn't quite been geared to think that way. Therefore, I'm adding to my prayer list the ability to recognize the needs of others and the resources to help meet those needs.

I first began thinking about this after Matthew was born. For the first two weeks we were home, we did not have to cook a meal. We had several gracious friends who took the time to cook a delicious meal and bring it to our home. One family came by that we had not seen or spoken to since the summer. The mom called one day just to see if the baby had arrived yet, and next thing we new, they were bringing us a meal. It was such a wonderful blessing!

We're currently reading a book about George Mueller. Time after time, God used others and their resources to answer George's prayers and meet his needs. I'll definitely have more to say about this book when we're finished in a few days. So, in the coming year, I hope that the Lord will allow me to be a blessing to others - for His glory, not mine - as we have been the recipients of so many blessings.

Before I close, I wanted to show one meal in particular that we had to take a picture of. Needless to say, this is one creative mom! And yes, it tasted as good as it looked!


Kim's Chicken Pot Pie


and
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie

2 comments:

Angela McRae said...

What an awesome baby-welcoming meal! She should go into business!

Rhonda said...

Actually, she used to be in business - she can decorate cakes beautifully, but with three kids, I think it was taking too much of her time, so she's stopped doing that for now.