Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Tasty Recipe (and a few other things)

Monday night, we enjoyed a new recipe. I have to give Madison most of the credit for cooking it, but I was the one to find the recipe and buy the ingredients. :>)

I'll share the recipe in case you don't have the newest Taste of Home magazine, but we did make a few changes.



Loaded Vegetable Beef Stew

4 turkey bacon strips, diced
1-2 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into 1" cubes
3 medium carrots, cut into 1" pieces
1 - 29 oz. can diced tomatoes
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups yellow squash, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
2 tsp. dried thyme
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 box of beef broth
4 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 tsp. pepper

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, brown beef in batches. Refrigerate the bacon until serving. (We cooked the beef the night before and then left it in the crock pot on low overnight so it would be tender. We also just combined the bacon when we combined the other ingredients.)

In a 6 qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, squash, green peppers, thyme and garlic. Top with beef. Pour broth over the top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Stir in cabbage (we added the cabbage with the other stuff) and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Sprinkle each serving with bacon (if you didn't add it in with the other stuff like we did.)

This made a lot of stew and I thought we would have leftovers, but there wasn't one drop left!


When I was loading the beef stew picture, I came across some other pictures I thought I'd share:


Here's a picture of me and my sister with our dad at his recent 70th birthday party.


This is Madison proving that she WILL wear flip flops even when it snows!


Here's Cari about to enjoy some of that delicious beef stew.


My little gypsy girl.


The crazy dress-up girls!


And last but not least, here's Matthew being forced to play with a baby doll - at least it's a boy baby!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The stew looks fabulous!!! What a sweet family you have-precious! Matthew, oh mercy he is adorable!!! Makes me want one, BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you like your pappa's birthday cake??? It sounded delish!!! ;-)tammyp

Rhonda said...

Yes, the cake was quite delicious!! I love just about anything with cream cheese frosting.

Angela McRae said...

That stew looks great! I just may have to try that! (And I'm glad your picture of us with Daddy turned out. The ones I took, we both had the goofiest expressions for some reason!)