Friday, April 17, 2009

Cari's 10th Birthday


Miss Cari is now 10 years old. (I've always called her Miss Cari - not all the time but fairly often. I don't call the others Miss Madison or Miss Amelia, but Miss Cari just seems to be very fitting for her. She is also known as "Peanut.") I now have two children in the double digits. Wow.

She's the second oldest and a joy to have around. Admittedly, she can be the most stubborn of the four and has driven me to my knees many times (and to Michael Pearl's web site and his To Train Up a Child book), but she can also be very kind and loving. She loves to give gifts, and since she doesn't have a job, she tends to be a re-gifter - but it's the thought that counts. She loves Barbies and Little House on the Prairie. She often asks, "Now why did women start wearing pants?" She enjoys dreaming of life in that era (minus the smallpox of course). She loves to make cards for her friends and send them letters in the mail. Speaking of friends, I don't know anyone who can make friends as quickly and easily as she does. She is the neighborhood socialite. She has become good friends with the little girl on the opposite end of the cul-de-sac, our next door neighbor's granddaughter spends more time at our house than his when she's in town, and the niece of the family across the street who drops by their house some afternoons usually comes over for a quick chat when she sees Cari outside. She knows all of our neighbors before and better than we do.

She's running track through our rec. dept. this spring and of course has quickly made some new friends there, too.

She has a very good friend named Jessie that we used to go to church with in Alabama that she has missed terribly. It just so happened that she was on spring break this week, so she and her little sister Sammie were able to come over last night and go to Cracker Barrell with us to begin the birthday celebration. (I was a little nervous about taking six kids to a restaurant, but they were great. A lady and her husband even came over to our table and commented on how well behaved all the children were.) Sammie and Jessie were great playmates for both Cari and Amelia. No whining or drama whatsoever with these two girls, so it made for a very pleasurable birthday celebration.

We continued the celebration this afternoon at my mom and dad's home. My mom and sister did a beautiful job of decorating for the tea party and providing the tasty food. I did make some red velvet cupcakes (not knowing that Cari had asked my mom to make a red velvet cake. She was making sure she had a red velvet birthday!). We enjoyed a fun afternoon there and later met up with Jessie and Sammie's mom in Bowdon to make the swap. Cari did not want to say "good bye," but hopefully they will be able to see each other again soon.

This evening, I cooked two Pampered Chef Taco Rings for supper since that is one of Cari's favorite meals, and she followed that with, can you guess?.....some more red velvet cake!

She said she had a very happy birthday. I certainly enjoyed the day, and I know she did, too. She weighed 9 lbs. 1 oz. when she was born, so I'm definitely feeling better now than I was 10 years ago at this time, but I have to say it was well worth it. God has used her to teach me a lot of things, and it is my prayer that God would help me to teach her what she needs to know. It's been almost four years ago that she came to me after leaving my mom and dad's one day and told me that she had went into a room by herself and asked Jesus to save her. (We had been discussing this off and on constantly for several weeks beforehand, so I wasn't surprised.) I pray that she has a full understanding of what that means and that she will continue to grow in her Christianity and become a young lady that would seek Christ in all areas of her life. Although I'm in no hurry, I'm looking forward to seeing the woman she becomes. In the meantime, I'll continue to try to "hold on to every moment" because if the next 10 years fly by as fast as the first 10.......

We love you, Cari! Happy 10th Birthday!





1 comment:

Meredith@MerchantShips said...

This is just lovely! The rosy tablecloth sets the mood for the whole party.

I have a soon-to-be-3 year old girl and can't wait to start celebrating her birthdays with pink, too!