Friday, August 28, 2009

The Week of the Summer Cold

Brad caught a cold last week and then shared it with the rest of us this week. That made for a not-so-normal week, but we made it through just fine. Now I'm going to back up a bit and replay the past several days. I know you're on the edge of your seat, aren't you?! (In case you're wondering why I share all this, this is sort of my on-line journal, and I enjoy looking back and seeing what we did. I read my blog if no one else does!)

Last Thursday, our dishwasher developed a hole in the plastic tub. The children and I were about to head out, and as I've done often in the past, I turned the dishwasher on to run while we were gone. A few minutes later, I happened to step in some warm water, which I thought was a little strange, and then I noticed the puddle was continuing to get bigger, so I quickly shut the dishwasher down and went about with my day. Later that evening, Brad discovered the hole, and the next evening, he and Matthew and I went to Douglasville to go on a "new dishwasher" search. We went to Best Buy first (since we usually do find the best buys at Best Buy and we always get such amazing help there), and we found a floor model with $100 off the price and that's the one we went with. All of our appliances were white, but I had been thinking in recent months that as each one became un-fixable (my new word I just created), I wanted to go with stainless steel, so we did. I know this means living with appliances that don't match for a time, but I can deal with that.

The dishwasher was not the one we thought would go first. All of the appliances are 10 years old so I guess it was about time, but it had not given us any problems up to that point. The stove/oven has had issues and has had to have some work done, and now the gas burners don't always want to ignite, and we have to use a lighter. The refrigerator sometimes wants to pretend it is a jet engine. It did this in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago. As usual, we got up, turned the temperature down, patted it on the back and told it how much we appreciate it and what in the world would we do with a jet engine anyway, and within an hour or so it comes back to its senses and everyone can go back to sleep. (I remember having a big brown refrigerator while growing up, and that was the only one we ever had. It still worked even after I got married. Unfortunately someone must have fallen in love with it as they stole it away from a rental home that my parents had at the time. I wish things today were made to last like that brown refrigerator, but I guess that's how companies in this day and time stay in business. ?) Anyway, thanks in part to Dave Ramsey, we refuse to replace our appliances until they absolutely cannot be fixed or it costs the price of a new one to have it fixed.

Brad and "Matthew" then took out the old dishwasher and installed the new one on Saturday, and it's been working great. I am very happy with the stainless steel.

Brad and Matthew beginning the "old dishwasher" removal. Note that Brad felt it was important that Matthew wear his "daddy's helper" shirt.

Back to the summer cold now.... I started feeling the effects of the cold on Monday and then on Tuesday we did our school work in the morning and evening and in between went to Carrollton to celebrate my Aunt Jane's birthday. By Wednesday, I knew I needed a resting day and Amelia was also running a fever, so we just read library books and took the day off from school. I was able to start reading a new book by Voddie Baucham titled "What He Must Be if He Wants to Marry My Daughter." I just knew it would be great before I even started reading it, and of course, I was right. He's definitely one of my favorite authors.

Amelia and I were both feeling much better on Thursday, and we were able to do some school work and then have some friends over in the afternoon. It was a very refreshing, much needed visit. Laughter truly does the heart good, and my dear friends always bring that!

Today, I am so thankful to be feeling better. Unfortunately, this morning it was Madison's turn with the cold. We know how to share around here.

1 comment:

Angela McRae said...

I remember that old brown refrigerator too, but I did not remember that it was stolen! Wouldn't you love to have one as dependable as that today? I also liked the fact it had a foot-pedal thingie you used to open the freezer, which was on the bottom.

Love the photo of Matthew installing the dishwasher. Does he charge by the hour or by the job?

Hope you all get through with the colds and have a better week!