Thursday, October 15, 2009

House Cleaning and Memory Problems

Well, I was in full force blogging mode last week but haven't had much to say this week - or rather much time to say it if I did. I enjoyed blogging so much last week that my house suffered a bit. But I guess it wasn't too bad since we did have company one afternoon. On the other hand, I've come to the realization that if I'm going to wait until my home is perfect to have company, then it may never happen. I've realized that people really aren't here to see my home anyway. I know they don't want to worry about catching a strange disease when they enter the doors because of filth, but at this point, that isn't an issue. If I become much more of a blogger, it may! On the other hand, a few scattered toys here and there or my husband's mobile office in the dining room can be overlooked. I remember years ago before the children arrived, it seems like we used to have get together's at our home on Saturday evenings quite often. Maybe it was easier then - we could get the house clean and know that it was going to stay clean until everyone arrived. Now, not so much. It can be perfect but can change in the drop of a hat. After the kids arrived, I remember having people over and making my family miserable before the company arrived - "don't put that there!" - "pick that up" - "don't bring that in here" - "you can't eat that right now!" and so on... Then I did a Bible study on hospitality and that very situation was addressed. If you're yelling at the family as the doorbell rings and then open the door and flash that smile at the visitors like everything is just fine inside the house, what is that saying to the children? It was freeing to read that, and I've since tried to make the process of having people over enjoyable for my family before, during and after the visit. I've let the perfectionist mentality go (for the most part) and am learning to go with the flow in this area. But, once again, it's not me - it's Christ working in me and helping, teaching me. I learned this week how careful I need to be to not think I've arrived at something and that it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

Brad and I were talking last week about how much better our school time had been and that he had noticed better attitudes in the evenings also. I guess I was basking too much in that sunlight because Monday and Tuesday seemed like throwbacks to the past school days. It was rough - mainly because of attitudes. And guess what - I think I was the main one with the bad attitude, and it was rubbing off on everyone else! I didn't read this verse yesterday, but I believe the Lord brought it to my mind - Proverbs 25:11 - A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver. I was careful yesterday to speak kind words and in a kind manner and was convicted when I didn't. All in all, yesterday was so much better. Life is so much better when I do things His way. I know I have a short term memory problem (or so it seems - just ask my family), but you'd think I could remember that!
I have more to say but I have a little one up now, so it's time to get started with the rest of the day. I hope you have a great one!

No comments: