Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bookin' It - 2010



I've been doing a lot of reading so far in 2010, but I didn't know about this reading plan until earlier today. I've read some good books this year - books in areas where I've needed some help and guidance. Here's what I've read so far:

Authentic Beauty and Set-Apart Femininity by Leslie Ludy

I purchased these books right after Christmas after reading on several blogs about how appropriate they were regarding Christ-honoring relationships. I read the Authentic Beauty book in about three days because I was wanting my 14-year-old daughter to read it, but I wanted to read it first to make sure it was okay. I decided she was mature enough to handle the content, and she's already read it, too. The basis of the book is making your relationship with Jesus stronger than any other - making Him your True Prince, which we all should do whether we are married or single. It's talks about an alternative to the worldly dating scene that has gotten so out of hand. It's been a struggle for us because she has friends her age that are allowed to go to movies or out to eat with their boyfriends. I noticed on Facebook the other day that one of my 10-year-old daughter's friends (who is in the 5th grade) is "in a relationship." Things like this make it harder on us to say "no" to those situations, and I am thankful for books like this that help us as parents explain our position and that there are Christian girls out there that are waiting and allowing their True Prince to author their love story.

Set-Apart Femininity has been a help and encouragement in my life. I probably won't have my children read it at this point, but I have used parts of it for times of discussion during our morning devotions. It is truly a book about setting yourself apart from the world and doing things, everything, God's way. I would categorize this as a "do hard things" book remembering that doing hard things brings the greatest rewards.

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
I've been wanting to read this book for years but never got around to it for some reason. I've heard about it numerous times, and finally God just literally dropped it in my hands. My pastor's wife was holding it in her hand one Sunday at church. She asked me if I had ever read it, and I said no but that I had always wanted to. She told me I could take it and read it, and now I realize why I should have read it years ago. This is one of those books that should be given to parents when they take home their newborn baby from the hospital. It seems like it took all of the child training methods I've ever read about and condensed them into a sensible system that works. Addendum: As I'm reading over this, I realized that it sounds like this is a book with a "how-to" "check-off-the-list"-type formula. That's not what I meant at all. It basically means that this book encourage parents to parent according to God's Word. Especially as homeschoolers, it can be so easy to get caught up in a movement or do "what other homeschoolers are doing." I'm so weary from walking the line on that one. It was very encouraging to read this and be reminded that we are to follow God's ways in our parenting, not man's. His ways are perfect - ours never will be. This book doesn't come with a guarantee that you'll raise perfect kids after reading it, but it does gave good places to start laying a foundation - God's Word mixed with a lot of love and communication. There's more, but that's basically what I got out of it.

The MacArthur Study Bible - NKJV
I mentioned in a previous post about my new Bible, and I am really enjoying reading it. I like reading the scripture and then looking below and seeing what MacArthur has to say about it. It's brought new excitement to my morning devotion time.

My plans for upcoming reads that are literally sitting on the table waiting on me are:

*A Visual History of the English Bible (The Tumultuous Tale of the World's Bestselling Book)
*The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust Modern Translations by James R. White
*When God Writes Your Love Story by Eric and Leslie Ludy


To see what others are reading, visit here: Life As Mom

1 comment:

FishMama said...

Those first two sound really interesting. Thanks for reviewing them for us!