Friday, February 19, 2010

God is Truly in the Details

This has been an amazing week. I had spoken with a friend on the phone earlier and had told her how God had been working even in the smallest details of our life. She agreed but wisely stated "that you have to be looking to see that sometimes." How unfortunate it would have been if I had not been looking.

For instance, Cari's All-Star Tournament games begin tonight, and they are in Blue Ridge, Georgia - about 2.5 hours from here. Brad can't get off work in time to go with us, so I was debating about what to do. Some of the team are spending the night at a hotel nearby, which makes sense since it is a bit of a drive. But if the girls lose tonight, they're out of the tournament. I didn't want to make a reservation and be forced to stay there if I had the opportunity to go home. That would have just been a waste of time and money. But, if they do win (and I hope they do!), would I really want to drive back home just to turn around and drive back on Saturday? The game is not until 1:00 on Saturday so there would be enough time, but what about the cost in gas and all that time on the road? Or - Would I want to drive around after the game looking for a place to stay? After thinking about the pros and cons of both scenarios, I was getting nowhere. So I simply prayed, "Lord, show me what to do here." In a matter of hours, He did. My mom told me that they (she and my dad) had decided to come on Friday instead of Saturday, and why didn't the kids and I ride up there with them and come back home Friday night. That sounded like a perfect solution. The game is at 6:00, so we should be back home at a decent hour. If they win tonight, we can ride with Brad back there tomorrow and we've saved the cost of a hotel room. Plus, we don't have to worry about all the packing/unpacking, and we can sleep in our own comfy beds tonight.

On another note, I was a little worried that Cari was not going to get to play very much as the coach's daughter plays her position. They had a practice tournament this week (which they did quite well in - they won two games and then opted out of the last game to practice for tonight), and I told Brad that we should go into it thinking that Cari will not be playing at all, and if she does, we can be thankful. If she doesn't, we can be thankful because it's a great accomplishment for her to be on this team. (This reminds me of Facing the Giants. We watched that movie again this week. It's been a while since I've watched it, and I had forgotten what a blessing and encouragement that movie is!) Turned out, she played at least two quarters in the first game and may have played as much as anyone in the second game. There were some events that occurred which allowed that to happen. I won't go into the details, but I will say again that God is in the details. If she doesn't play at all tonight, I'm thankful for what she has been allowed to experience.

Another situation arose this week, which I will not get into at all, but once again, God used other circumstances to take care of this problem before I even had a clue that the problem existed. This could have been a difficult situation, but He stepped in for me and made it easy.

The last thing I'll mention is my job situation. If you didn't know, I work at home as a medical transcriptionist. The company I've worked for the past 10 years lost a huge account last November. I didn't work the whole month of December, so I started looking for another job in January. Most of the ads I was seeing wanted someone to work a specific number of hours or do a specific number of lines or work at a specific time of day... I had been spoiled by my employers of 10 years who sent me work in the evening and wanted it back by 9 a.m. the following morning - allowing me to work it in when I could. They never made any requirements about how much I needed to do and allowed me to do what I could do. So, once again I made this a matter of prayer as to what I should do. Should I take a chance with a big company and try things their way? I started sending some resumes, but wasn't getting much of a response, and the ones that I did get a response were just not quite right for various reasons. Sometime in January, I received an email from my previous employers about something - don't remember what - and I was given the opportunity to casually mention that I had been looking for work. She then told me that she had gotten behind and needed some help if I wanted to do a little, so I said "sure!". I've been getting a little here and there since then, but I was still looking for a little supplemental work. I knew it would have to be a small company, and I just prayed that the Lord would lead me in the right direction. He did, and I was totally surprised at where He led. I was looking in our local, small-town newspaper, and I did something I rarely do. I looked at the ads section, and in the part-time work available was an ad for a medical transcriptionist! I was stunned as this is something I've NEVER seen in there. At first I was a little hesitant as I thought it might be a doctor's office, and I really don't want to work directly for a doctor. But Brad encouraged me to go ahead and send my resume, so I did. I'll cut to the chase. A lady who is local is needing some help, and it looks like I'll be starting with her next week! She is paying the same as my other employer, it looks like it will be the same type of overflow work (which I like as it means I won't necessarily be working every day), and everything will be done over the Internet just like I do it now! I never saw this one coming, and I am so glad I left it in His hands.

These were not huge events, but they were great blessings to me nonetheless. Is there any detail in our lives that is too small to worry God with? Absolutely not! He cares so much for us, and I've been amazed at how He uses all things, even the unpleasant things, for our good!

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

This song from Facing the Giants sums it up well.

No comments: