Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Some Lessons Learned (or in the process of learning)

Need to work on prayer life - I was reprimanded about this earlier today. I'm still reading the book Set-Apart Femininity and I realized that, like Nehemiah, there have been some "breaches in my wall" and I haven't spent as much time in prayer about these issues as I should have. I haven't been "praying without ceasing" and it's time to start.

O brother, pray; in spite of Satan, pray; spend hours in prayer; rather neglect friends than not pray; rather fast, and lose breakfast, dinner, tea, and supper--and sleep too--than not pray. And we must not talk about prayer, we must pray in earnest. The Lord is near. He comes softly while the virgins slumber. --Andrew Bonar


It's not necessary to rock a baby for an hour to get him to sleep - I have always enjoyed rocking my children, but Matthew hasn't been as quick to go to sleep here lately. In fact, some nights it was taking over an hour to get him to sleep. I would fall asleep while rocking him and wake up to see him staring at me. I decided last week I would try to just lay him down in his bed and see what would happen. He cried for maybe five minutes the first few nights and then would be off to sleep. Now, by the time I lay him down, go get the monitor from the kitchen (where I keep it during the day) and go plug it in, in my room, he is already asleep. He had probably been wishing I would do that all along! (I do still get to rock him for his nap in the afternoon.)

There is such a thing as eating too much chocolate - Please don't gasp too loudly about that one! Valentine's Day has taught me a lesson. We have been overrun with chocolate and sugary snacks in general. My flesh has been weak and unable to resist, especially those two big bags of Valentine M&Ms. And yesterday, I baked some brownies to try out my new "Perfect Brownie" pan that I got for Christmas (I'll tell you more about that later), and I threw some of those M&Ms in the mix. The brownies that I could eat were delicious. I ate one or two when they were done. And last night while cleaning up the kitchen, the brownie plate was nearby, and before I knew it I had eaten two more! Not only is this terribly unhealthy, but it has seriously interfered with my sleep! Usually, I lay down, my head hits the pillow, and that's the last thing I remember until my alarm goes off. Not so for the past two nights. This morning I was awake at 2 a.m., and it took over an hour to go back to sleep. I'm placing all the blame on eating all that sugar. I want to sleep well tonight, so I'm taking a sugar break today!

No comments: