Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Controversy Settled - Part 3

This is a continuation from yesterday....

If you want to catch up on my previous posts regarding this subject (it might make more sense what I'm doing here), here is PART 1 and PART 2.

There are other verses that used to "throw" me as far as words being omitted, added, or changed altogether. If you've ever been in this camp or are there now, I'm sure you have felt the same way. This book "The King James Only Controversy" probably covers all of those questionable verses and explains why. The main reason is "textual criticism." All of the available original texts/manuscripts are studied and compared, and then the best translation possible is given in each instance. Then why so many different versions? Remember, "men" translated the Bible. Men who are not perfect. The words of the original writers were divinely inspired by God - not the translators. Some things can be translated in different ways and in a group of translators, there will be differing opinions as to what is the best translation. That is why I've come to realize that it can be a good thing to study different versions - see what each has to say. It certainly deepens the understanding. There were many verses in the KJV that used to confuse me, but I dared not look anywhere else for help. I'm mainly using a NKJV now (I also like the ESV), and almost daily one of those verses will occur to me, and I will go look it up and almost always gain some clarity as to what was intended.

"Those who use a modern translation that was produced by godly men who were seeking simply to follow the best texts of the Hebrew Old Testament and the Greek New Testament, and to faithfully translate those texts into the English language, can have great confidence that they are reading God's Word in the best form in which it can be found in their language. The comparison of these translations against one another only serves to sharpen our understanding of the intention of the original authors. And when textual variants appear in footnotes or in comparison with the KJV, believers can be assured that these things arose not because of some attempt to hide the truth from them, but due to the very understandable actions of scribes down through the centuries who were themselves doing their best to accurately copy those precious manuscripts. Rather than being fearful that they can't be "certain" about what God has revealed, they should rejoice that God has made it possible for them to have and hold His Word, and they should seek to obey His will that is so clearly presented therein. The preacher and teacher can proclaim God's truth from the pages of such a translation with the full assurance that he is proclaiming the whole counsel of God, and can trust God with the results." (JRW)

Before I end this post for the day, I'll provide the following verses as examples of how different translators came up with different terms:

Genesis 36:24 (KJV)
And these [are] the children of Zibeon; both Ajah, and Anah: this [was that] Anah that found the mules in the wilderness, as he fed the asses of Zibeon his father.

Genesis 36:24 (NKJV)
These [were] the sons of Zibeon: both Ajah and Anah. This [was the] Anah who found the water in the wilderness as he pastured the donkeys of his father Zibeon.

"In Genesis 36:24, all Hebrew manuscripts and other ancient authorities read "found water"; whereas the KJV reads "found mules" following a medieval Jewish commentator." (JRW)

-----------------

Isaiah 19:10 (KJV)
And they shall be broken in the purposes thereof, all that make sluices [and] ponds for fish.

Isaiah 19:10 (NKJV)
And its foundations will be broken. All who make wages [will be] troubled of soul.

"In Isaiah 19:10, all Hebrew manuscripts read "soul"; whereas the KJV reads "fish," following the Roman Catholic Latin Vulgate." (JRW)

-----------------

I could give other examples, but I probably need to stop at this point. This was just another piece of the puzzle that made me realize that I would be better served if I, during various studies, studied more than one Bible version. There are some instances where the KJV has a better translation and other instances where another version may have a better translation. That is why I've discovered that "prejudice" regarding Bible versions is not a good thing.

Part 4
Summary

2 comments:

Katy~The Country Blossom said...

Thank you for these posts! I enjoyed reading them and I have been praying for God to clarify these concerns of mine. :) He has done so through you! :) Thank you!! :)

Rhonda said...

That is awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment and letting me know. I mainly did this series to correct some ignorant statements I had made in the past, but I was hoping that it would be a help to someone also.