Monday, March 15, 2010

Happy Monday

Madison asked me earlier why it is that some people dislike Mondays so much. I tried to explain to her the concept behind that, and in doing so, I got to thinking how Monday is one of my favorite days right now. It is the only day of the week that we do not have any commitments, and I could possibly stay in my p.j.'s all day if I wanted to. I like that very much. Now I really wouldn't want it to be like that everyday, as we would all go a little stir crazy if we never had anywhere to go, but I'm certainly thankful for my Mondays right now.

I've also been thinking about yesterday's Sunday School lesson. Every class and age group at our church is studying the same thing right now, which makes for great discussion during family devotions. It's a series of lessons from John Piper, and they are all about teaching us Who God is, His attributes, etc. So far, we've learned He's Incomprehensible, YHWH - Lord, Eternal, Creator, Glorious, Wise, Almighty, Sovereign, Provider, and yesterday we learned He is Self-Sufficient. God doesn't need anything. What does God need to exist? Nothing. Does He need air? No. We are totally dependent, but God doesn't need anything. Even when we say we're trying to live more self-sufficient, we still need the things that He has created in order to be "self-sufficient." He needs nothing from us. He doesn't even "need" our praise. But He commands it. Why? "The practice of praise helps us focus on God's character and not our problems. It gives us inner joy and peace no matter the outcome."

Psalm 8
To the Chief Musician. On the instrument of Gath. [fn] A Psalm of David. O LORD, our Lord, How excellent [is] Your name in all the earth, Who have set Your glory above the heavens! Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants You have ordained strength, Because of Your enemies, That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained, What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him? For You have made him a little lower than the angels, [fn] And You have crowned him with glory and honor. You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all [things] under his feet, All sheep and oxen-- Even the beasts of the field, The birds of the air, And the fish of the sea That pass through the paths of the seas. O LORD, our Lord, How excellent [is] Your name in all the earth!


Psalm 147:1
Praise the LORD! For [it is] good to sing praises to our God; For [it is] pleasant, [and] praise is beautiful.


Remember the story of Paul and Silas (Acts 16:16-34)? In verse 25, they were singing through the trial. As I truly ponder their situation, I see how "hard" that could have been, but they made it look easy. Praise reminds us to put our trust in Christ no matter the circumstances.

Journaling is a great way to remember to praise God. As I look back over the course of my life (which is much easier to do if I've written about it), I can look back and see the many times that God intervened, answered prayer, sent unexpected blessings, etc. I have found blogging to be the easiest way to do that. As I looked back at my blog a year ago this month, I noticed that I only blogged three times last March. I know there must have been much more to say during that time, and I find myself wondering what I missed, which blessings and praises I failed to report, and I realize that I need to be more diligent about that.

I should also be more diligent about finishing up my Monday chores, so I better go tie up those loose ends. In the meantime, Happy Monday!

No comments: