Saturday, March 6, 2010

Is there a cake doctor in the house?

The weekend of Cari's basketball tournament was also my dad's birthday weekend. We were trying to plan when to do the party, and it was decided we would shoot for Saturday evening. If her games lasted into the afternoon, they would just have to start without us.

My dad likes German chocolate cake, so I usually try to make him one every year. They usually turn out well with two exceptions. A few years ago, I tried to make him a "healthy" German chocolate cake. I used the freshly ground wheat flour, no refined white sugar - just honey and sucanat. It was edible, but it was probably more like something you would eat for breakfast rather than put birthday candles on. The next day I made him an unhealthy version and took it over, since I was sure he was not thrilled about enduring the healthy one.

This year was the other exception. I had a short time span to make this cake as we had to leave after lunch for Cari's tournament. I had many other things to do that morning, so I was rushing through the baking process. I got the cake mixed together, poured it into the three layer cake pans, and popped them in the oven. About five minutes later when I was cleaning up, I looked over and noticed the bowl of egg whites that I had neglected to add to the batter. I thought, "Well, the yolks of the eggs are in there, so everything should be fine." When the baking time was over, I noticed that the cakes had not risen nearly as much as usual, as this recipe generally makes a big, fluffy cake. Not this time. After they cooled, I attempted to pry them out of the pans. I guess the heaviness of the cakes maybe combined with not enough oil and flour on the pan to begin with made for a bad situation. I finally got the layers out, but unfortunately, each layer was a crumbled mess. There was absolutely no time to make another one, so I squished and squashed and molded, sat on it (not really) and did my best to salvage what was there. The positive thing is that it did still taste good. I put it together the best I could and when I handed it over to my parents, I promised them that it had not fallen on the floor. I am now going to show you a picture of it. I know you're going to not believe that I actually gave that to someone looking like it did, but like it said, it did taste good, and I knew we would figure out some way to eat it. And we did.


Sad. Very, very sad.
While at the library this week, I picked up this book, "The Cake Doctor Returns."
She takes basic cake mixes and adds ingredients that make them taste more like homemade. She even has a recipe in there for German chocolate cake that I think I'll give a try, as I think I definitely earned a chance for a redo. There are a few others I'd like to try also. She also gives a lot of helpful hints. One hint was in regard to what to do if your cake is too crumbly. She says to put it in a dessert cup and then add rum or something on top. I wouldn't do the rum, but I guess I could dollop some of the icing on top or sort of layer the crumbs and the icing in the dessert cup. But hopefully that won't happen again, but you never know.

I don't think Paul had cake baking in mind when he wrote this, but it made me feel better anyway.

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

This episode was just another reminder of how imperfect I am and how grateful I am to serve a God who is perfect in every way.

No comments: