Friday, March 12, 2010

So Long, Juke

I just returned from my weekly trip to the grocery store, and I thought I'd blog a bit while I'm eating some oatmeal and before I wake the kiddos. (I usually let them sleep late on Fridays.) I am so glad that my new job allows me to still make my Friday morning grocery run before Brad leaves for work. I'm getting enough work to keep me happily busy Monday through Thursday, and then Friday is a day off. Love it! My other company occasionally gives me work on Fridays, but it is usually so little that I can do it when I return from the store. I am so thankful for the way God has worked all of this out!

I've got a good bit to do today, so I guess I can only sit here as long as my oatmeal lasts. I'm going to eat slowly.... We're having several people over tonight, so I have some quick house cleaning to do. We haven't been home much this week, but things have not gotten too out of hand. We've just had to do our school work at rather strange times, but as long as it gets completed, that's all that matters.

My sister was wanting to see Alice in Wonderland and so were my oldest two children. She offered to take them on Tuesday, so we met her in Newnan, had a quick lunch, and then they went to the theater while Matthew, Amelia, and I went to a nearby park. (Johnny Depp sort of freaks me out, and his character looked rather strange (again) in this movie. So, I didn't care anything about seeing it. But now that I've heard about it - my sister and the girls loved it - I may have to see it when it comes out on DVD.) If you'd like to see some pictures from their movie experience, you can CLICK HERE.

Before we headed to the park that day, my sister pointed me in the direction of the Verizon store. My two-year contract was up this week, and I was SO ready to get a new phone. I've been living with a Juke for two years.



I remember it well. It was a Sunday afternoon in 2008, and Brad was on the Verizon web site and said, "Hey, you can get a new phone now." I think I had just woke up from a nap, and I remember going over to the computer and quickly scanning the free phones I could get. In a matter of five minutes or so, I chose the Juke. I was pregnant at the time, and I have been known to make bad decisions while pregnant, and this was clearly an example of that. Now, I'm not a gadget guru who has to have the top of the line phone. We don't have an internet plan or even texting on our phones, so all I need is something to talk into. Unfortunately, for the past two years I've felt like I've been talking into a pencil. I know I could have purchased another phone, but I like FREE, so I dealt with it. I've never had any problems with it, and it's had a great battery, so I really can't complain about its function. It was just the size that drove me crazy.

So, I was very intentional this time around about going to the store first and looking at the phones before ordering online. My new phone arrived yesterday. The Escapade...



I'm pleased, and I love the fact that it's big. I told Madison that I would almost take one of those huge 80s phones after using the Juke. I like a phone that puts the part you talk into at your mouth, and this one is big enough to do that. Brad has one of those short phones where the mouthpiece (or whatever you call it) is about at your cheekbone. That would drive me crazy, too. So, I'm happy now with my phone situation. Yesterday was officially the first day of the rest of my life without the Juke.

In other news, yesterday I cut Amelia's hair for the first time. I didn't really think about it until yesterday, but she will be five years old in July, and it was the first time that scissors have ever touched her hair. It was getting really long but quite uneven and a little unhealthy as she is always wanting me to flat iron her hair. I probably cut two to three inches off, but she looks really cute.




Also yesterday, I went to a funeral. It was for the brother of my friend, Terri. On the way there, I was taking the children to my mom and dad's to stay while I went to the funeral. I said, "I hate going to funerals." Madison made a good point. She said, "If you enjoyed it, I think you would have problems." True.

Then when I got home last night, I received a phone call that one of my classmates had a massive heart attack! People my age are not supposed to have heart attacks. At least that's what I thought. He lives in Florida now, and I heard that he's in ICU at the moment after having surgery for 100% blockage. Please remember Shane in your prayers as you're reminded.

My oatmeal is gone, so I guess my time is up. But before I end, I have a quick prayer ~ Dear Lord, thank you for the week that you've blessed me with and that my biggest worry has been what kind of phone to get. I am surrounded by people at the moment with much bigger worries - real problems that need real answers, hurts that need healing, and those who need an additional boost of strength for their journey. Please be with these people and give them the help they are seeking, and if there is anything I can do to help, please show me. I know that You, God, are in control of everything. You send blessings and you also allow the hardships to come our way, all these things come in order for Your purposes to be fulfilled. Thank You for Your mercy, Your grace, and Your longsuffering towards us. We don't deserve these things, but because of Jesus, You give us all these things and so much more. Thank you. In Jesus wonderful name, Amen.

Ephesians 1:11-14 (ESV)
In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

No comments: