Friday, April 2, 2010

Controversy Settled - Summary

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

I know the title "Controversy Settled" solely refers to me. This is not over for many and will always be a subject of debate. But for me, it is settled.

If anyone reading this has never been in a "KJV Only" discussion, you may be surprised that it is even an issue. You're probably thinking, "aren't there more important issues to discuss?" And I would have to agree with you. I should be more worried about sharing the love of Christ rather than being the "version police."

So, in reference to my first post in this series, do I still think churches that are missing the mark are doing so because of the Bible version they are using? No. I no longer think that. I think whenever any of us fall off course, it is because we're not studying God's Word as we should, whichever version of choice we are using, and being obedient to His word as we should.

2 Timothy - 4:3-4
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

"Professing Christians, nominal believers in the church follow their own desires and flock to preachers who offer them God's blessings apart from His forgiveness, and His salvation apart from their repentance. They have an itch to be entertained by teachings that will produce pleasant sensations and leave them with good feelings about themselves. Their goal is that men preach "according to their own desires." Under those conditions, people will dictate what men preach, rather than God dictating it by His Word." (Note from MacArthur Study Bible)


There's much more to say on this subject, and if you're interested or searching for some guidance in this area or would just like to be able to make an informed decision before "choosing sides" (for lack of better words), I would highly recommend reading the book I've been quoting over the past few posts, "The King James Only Controversy" by James R. White. The first couple of chapters were a little hard to get through, and I was afraid I would never understand what he was trying to say, but the more I read, the more it all came together in the end. I finished reading it this week, and I have to say that it was well worth the time and effort involved.

No comments: