Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Hand-Me-Downs and other things

Not only did Brad and Cari bring home the Expedition last weekend, they brought back a trunk full of dishes. My in-laws recently purchased new pots and pans and dishes for their kitchen and asked if we wanted any of their old ones. I didn't want the pots and pans, but I was happy to take the dishes. I've always liked the design and size of their old dishes, and every once in a while, believe it or not, a plate, glass, etc. gets broken around here, so any extras are always welcome.

My father-in-law also asked if I would like to have their china that his aunt gave them when they were married almost 41 years ago. I said, "Certainly!" A few years ago, my answer would have been, "no thanks." But things change. I used to only have an eye for new things - just keep the old stuff in the antique stores and far away from me. But now I've acquired a fondness for old things - especially items that are connected with family.

I had no idea what the dishes looked like and didn't even ask - I knew I'd find a place for them somewhere. They are made by Royal China, Inc, and are called "Dogwood." I like them, and I think they look nice in my breakfast room curio cabinet.


The plant on top looks like it's blowing away, but it's just reaching for the sun that shines through the nearby window.

Getting the new dishes forced me to do some cleaning out in the kitchen this week. Not bad timing after all since it is spring and time for some spring cleaning and preparing for a spring yard sale. I went through all my cabinets and anything I haven't used in the past year went into the yard sale box. I need to do this in every room, so that's what I'll be doing throughout the next few weeks as time allows. My home is so much easier to keep clean when I clear the clutter! And I've been thinking, if I can live without most of this stuff during a week-long vacation in a hotel room, why do I think I need all this stuff around me all the time? Helping my parents move last week gave me a new perspective on what I need to keep and what I don't. If it's in God's plans for us, we would still like to sell our home and move to our own little homestead someday, and if that day of moving should ever arrive, I would like to make it as easy as possible. Not that moving is ever easy, but the less stuff and clutter the better. If that day doesn't come, then I think we're still better off without the stress of too much stuff.

I'm going to change the subject now and tell you how much I love music. If I had to choose between a TV or a radio, I'd definitely choose the radio. On the way home from church last night, the song "More Like Falling in Love" by Jason Gray came on the radio. It has a happy beat to it, which I think made Cari say that it is her new favorite song. I told her that it is a good song and that it has a lot of truth in it, too.

More Like Falling in Love
Give me rules
I will break them
Give me lines
I will cross them
I need more than a truth to believe
I need a truth that lives, moves, and breathes
To sweep me off my feet
It ought to be

More like falling in love
Than something to believe in
More like losing my heart
Than giving my allegiance
Caught up, called out
Come take a look at me now
It's like I'm falling, oh
It's like I'm falling in love

Give me words
I'll misuse them
Obligations
I'll misplace them
'Cause all religion ever made of me
Was just a sinner with a stone tied to my feet
It never set me free
It's gotta be

CHORUS

...It's like I'm falling in love, love, love
Deeper and deeper
It was love that made
Me a believer
In more than a name, a faith, a creed
Falling in love with Jesus brought the change in me

So what is my overall take on this song? Legalism and just "following the rules" of Christianity gets you nowhere. Where's the joy and peace in that?? Falling in love with Jesus brings about a desire to follow His rules and to live life as His Word says I should live it, to serve Him and please Him as best as I can. "'Cause all religion ever made of me Was just a sinner with a stone tied to my feet" Isn't that the truth? These things are hard to accomplish in the name of religion. But when you have a real relationship with Jesus, the things that religion tries but fails to accomplish just come about naturally. People that are not Christians should know there is something different about all of us who claim to be Christians. We should live in such a way that they want to ask what that difference is. The only way to truly display that difference is falling in love with Jesus. To go even further, how do you fall in love with Jesus? A great place to start would be by reading His Word - that's the best way to get to know Him! - Because how can you love Someone that you don't know?....

If you haven't heard this song, I'm sure a quick Internet search will lead you to it. If you need something to get you moving today, now might be a good time to go listen to it! Or I can just go ahead and lead you to it: CLICK HERE I just watched and listened and found it impossible to sit still. I have a feeling this is going to be our "get the house clean" song this morning ~ :>)

No comments: