Saturday, May 22, 2010

Seasons

I have come to truly appreciate the way that God has created the seasons. Each one serves such a wonderful purpose, and I want to enjoy every facet that each has to offer.

The summer time is a very busy time of working and playing. Working - lawn maintenance, gardening, tending to flowers - and some housework on rainy days :>). Playing - lots of swimming and fun with friends, playing in the dirt/sand, swinging the (little) kiddos until they doze off for an afternoon nap, baseball games, lots of weekend softball tournaments, cookouts, free movies and cheap popcorn, and the list goes on and on. Like I said, very busy.

Then comes fall ~ my favorite time of the year ~ it's time to start winding down but not yet completely. There's canning/freezing of the vegetables and fruits (hopefully! if the garden did well) and time to start back to school, which becomes the priority. Tidying up of the yards and stowing away of the summer toys is on the to-do list. Softball is over, and it's time to start thinking about basketball. It's also time to catch up on the housework that may have gotten neglected during the busy summer. It's time to start thinking about fall parties and looking forward to the Thanksgiving holiday. Love it!

And then there's winter, which I look at as a time of rest - (except for basketball season). The other seasons have brought lots of activity, but winter is the time I get to come inside and hibernate with my family for a few months. There's the fun stuff like decorating for Christmas, shopping, and parties to attend. And then the months following are a time to wait quietly for spring to arrive.

And thankfully it always does. We're usually feeling a little stir crazy and at the first sign of warm weather we're out and about at the playground, walking around the neighborhood, headed to softball practice, making plans for a garden, enjoying the beauty of all the greenness of the trees and grass and the budding and blooming of the flowers, and getting ready to plant new flowers. There's the finishing up of school and the heavy duty spring cleaning. Getting ready for vacation as we celebrated the end of our school year was a treat for this spring. And then there's the excitement of the anticipation of all that summer is going to bring ~ and the cycle continues.

As long as God blesses me with good health and the ability, I want to be like the ant in Proverbs 6:6-11:

Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, [And] gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard? When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep-- So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler, And your need like an armed man.

There is always something to do, to enjoy, and someone to love while doing it. I want to use my seasons wisely and accomplish all that I can according to God's plan for my life. Speaking of my life....

Not only has God given us seasons in each year, but He's also blessed us with seasons in life. Even more so, I want to use those seasons wisely. Just as the yearly seasons go by so fast, my life seasons are speeding by just as fast. We just returned from vacation, and I carried that thought a lot this week.

It seems like Madison was just turning 1, and it was just me, Brad, and her on vacation. Now all of the sudden there are three more, and she is 14. I realized how the time for my family-of-six vacations is ticking away, and I didn't want to take that for granted. I don't think I did. We had a very relaxing vacation and did not do very much. We spent a lot of time at the beach and by the pools and just enjoyed some much needed down time as a family. Our lives at home are extremely busy - if you could see all that has been accomplished since we arrived home at 4 p.m. yesterday, you would understand - so we didn't want our vacation to be. It was a refreshing time and hopefully I have some new motivation to do what needs to be done around here. I had blogged recently about doing a thorough "cleaning out" of the house, which I did. But I've suffered tremendously from burnout ever since and haven't wanted to do much "cleaning up." I think I've recovered now. :>)

Anyway, I know there are more seasons in life to come - that like the yearly seasons will be needed and will bring their own blessings, etc. - but for now, I am content to enjoy and "remain" in this one.

Here's a few pictures from our trip to Myrtle Beach. It rained on Monday, but the rest of the week was lovely, just lovely.....(Thank you, Heavenly Father, for such a wonderful, safe week - for Your provision and loving kindness that you showered upon us. Amen.)









No comments: